Thursday, October 26, 2006

Living in Idaho

I just have to say how much I enjoy living in Idaho! Having been born and raised in San Jose, California, I never thought I would get to the point of saying that. However, over the past year I have had a chance to meet some great people, see some wonderful seasons and enjoy an overall less stressful environment for my family. It's been great.

Several things have prompted my "enlightened" view of Idaho. First of all I love my home! We had a nice home in California and we worked really hard on it but I love this home! Maybe because after spending over a year remodeling in San Jose, we came to this brand new home, completely done, with fabulous upgrades! Of course that was one of the things I told my husband when we were looking for homes here, "I want a house that I don't have to do anything to!" I can be a little bossy that way. HA!

I also love my neighborhood. When we first moved here Hannah met a girl her age who instantly became a good friend. Then when they started school, Cassie ended up being in her class. How great was that. The Lord knew exactly what Hannah needed since she was having such a hard time with the move. All my neighbors are very friendly too. Last year 3 of us hosted a "Get to Know your Neighbors" Potluck. It was so great. Everyone around here waves and stops to talk. So unlike our neighborhood in California where everyone drives right into their garage and shuts the door. We had kids in our neighborhood but everyone was too busy with their lives to develop any relationships. Tragic! There is just an overall sense of "neighborhood" here. Right now our neighborhood is doing the whole "BOO" thing. A special treat along with a poem and a picture of a boo ghost is delivered to your doorstep anonomously. This year we got a little gift bag full of candy, a pumpkin potholder, a pumpkin candle and some stickers. So cute! You then make copies of the poem and ghost and you go and BOO 2 of your neighbors who don't have the ghost hanging in their window. The kids think this is just the best thing!

I also love the change of seasons here! We don't have that in California. It's either hot or not hot! When we moved here our dear friends gave us a going away party. Every single person dressed in white since we were coming to a state where it always snows! Now I have to admit it is cold but it's not the tundra people! I think we had 4 snowfalls last winter that were melted by that day or the next. I just love seeing all the gorgeous colors of all the seasons.

And finally I have met so many great people here. It helped that I had 2 wonderful friends and their families move here from California at the same time but I've been able to establish some other really great relationships too. Through Mops, scrapbooking, church and my kids activities I have met some fun people I can call friends! How great is that. The Lord is always gracious and knows exactly what we need!

Although I miss friends and family in California tremendously, I welcome this change in my life. I feel Paul and I definitely made the right decision for us and our family and the Lord has blessed our obedience ten-fold!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so swet pork, we love ya! I feel very fortunate to have made a friendship with you & look forward to lot's of fun times with you in the future (even if you are from~sssssshhhhh~California) LOL! :o)

Your home is beautiful-and the cat's house ain't bad either, lol! Love the new scraproom, I'm sure we'll have good times scrappin there when Paul get's busy. :o)

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Hey... I LOVE Fall!!!! Tee hee! Honestly - I do!

Gotta love a place with FOUR distinct seasons! Oh yes - and good friends...

Definitely blessings from the Lord!

~K~

Anonymous said...

I agree...coming from southern California and all that sun...so overrated...really. How many days a year can it really be 72 and sunny???!?! Even though I grew up in Los Angeles, living up here has been absolutely wonderful. Every season is my new favorite! The people are way more relaxed and friendly and I love my home and I love the winters...! I remember when we told people we were moving to Idaho and they were "asking" me if I really realized how much snow we get...I think that is kind of funny now because you are right...the snow only lasts maybe through lunch and it is gone...when we do get it. I talked to a friend the other day and I was telling her the nights are dropping into the 30's and she made some awful gasp sound and I told her that I LOVE IT. Anyway, looking forward to next Thursday to see your house and your awesome scrap area!!!!

P.S. I saw Paul at the Pack meeting tonight and I almost told him how much I was looking forward to all of us (including you) scrapbooking ALL WEEKEND...hee hee...just to watch his expression but I don't know him well enough to tease like that.

Have a good night Pork...have some applesauce.

Anonymous said...

I think Idaho is nice too (no complaint) but I do love living in California. We get our fair share of bad weather too. I think no matter where I would live, I would love fall. We have some beautiful trees turning different colors now. I must admit I love the beach when the weather is stormy.

Anonymous said...

waiting for an update, waiting for an update, waiting for an update-
from yooouuu!

Theres my very own lyrics, make up your own tune, lol!

Anonymous said...

Artist: The B52's
Song: Private Idaho Lyrics

Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo
You're living in your own Private Idaho
Living in your own Private Idaho
Underground like a wild potato.
Don't go on the patio.
Beware of the pool,
blue bottomless pool.
It leads you straight
right throught the gate
that opens on the pool.

You're living in your own Private Idaho.
You're living in your own Private Idaho.

Keep off the path, beware the gate,
watch out for signs that say "hidden driveways".
Don't let the chlorine in your eyes
blind you to the awful surprise
that's waitin' for you at
the bottom of the bottomless blue blue blue pool.

You're livin in your own Private Idaho. Idaho.
You're out of control, the rivers that roll,
you fell into the water and down to Idaho.
Get out of that state,
get out of that state you're in.
You better beware.

You're living in your own Private Idaho.
You're living in your own Private Idaho.

Keep off the patio,
keep off the path.
The lawn may be green
but you better not be seen
walkin' through the gate that leads you down,
down to a pool fraught with danger
is a pool full of strangers.

You're living in your own Private Idaho,
where do I go from here to a better state than this.
Well, don't be blind to the big surprise
swimming round and round like the deadly hand
of a radium clock, at the bottom, of the pool.

I-I-I-daho
I-I-I-daho
Woah oh oh woah oh oh woah oh oh
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah
Get out of that state
Get out of that state
You're living in your own Private Idaho,
livin in your own Private.... Idaho