Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Nice guys finish last

"Nice guys finish last" although a cliche, very true! Have you ever done something with the very best intentions only to have it backfire in your face? Have you ever known from the beginning that you shouldn't do it because your gut was telling you it would never work out but you did it because that's just the kind of person you are? Did you ever have your very sincere, generous actions turn into something ugly and insulting?

This very thing is what has happened to Paul and I. Through very sincere, gracious acts on our parts we have become the bad guys in our situation with his family. Now I know what you're thinking, "consider the source" and I have and I know that I really shouldn't care what they say or think about Paul and I but I have to say that it does bother me. Because now we are no longer focusing on the matter at hand but it has come to personal attacks. Mine and my husband's character and integrity are both being attacked. It just baffles my mind.

So, considering my mood and attitude about this the Lord knew what I needed. Today in my bible study I came across 2 Corinthians 4:17 which says, "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." It doesn't matter how our actions are perceived here on earth, the Lord knows our hearts and our rewards are ultimately in heaven! How relieving to know that nice guys don't finish last there!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sista!
Let me just tell you...... I was saying something very similar to my husband just today... sometimes I just don't get it... you do everything you think is right... you give and give and give and... sometimes it just gets you no where... and sometimes no matter how much you give no one appreciates it and sometimes when you do all the work someone else comes along and takes all the credit... it is NO FAIR.... it totally sucks and I get so frustrated sometimes.
GRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anonymous said...

Oh pork, I know this has been such a trying time for you & Paul both. Keep on rembering that this is all consequeces of their actions, not yours-you are doing the right thing! You will definately NOT be finishing last in the long run!!

Be proud of yourself, I don't think I could have handled the situation with as much grace & intergerity as you have. :o)

Anonymous said...

You seem to have done above and beyond what most people would have done in the same situation! God knows your hearts are pure and good and that is all that matters.

Anonymous said...

I used to be such a sweet, sweet thing
Until they got a hold of me
I opened doors for little old ladies
I helped the blind to see
I got no friends cause they read the papers
They can't be seen with me and I'm getting shot down
And I'm feeling mean
No more mister nice guy
No more mister clean
No more mister nice guy
They say he's sick , he's obscene
I got no friends cause they read the papers
They can't be seen with me and I'm getting shot down
And I'm feeling mean
My dog bit me on leg today
My cat clawled my eye
My moms been thrown out of society circle
My dads had to hide
I went to church incognito
When everybody rose, the reserved smith
He recognized me
Punched me in the nose

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Kori,

I don't know the whole situation - but I do know that from what I have heard from you and about you, you & Paul seem to honor the Lord and I am sure you follow His lead... sometimes we think things will work out in the end, because of what He has put on our hearts in the beginning... and when we are in the MIDDLE - it seems as if it has ended poorly... but remember, He sees the beginning and the end and He works ALL THINGS together for good for those who are called according to His purpose... Also - as I read your post - I was reminded of when Jesus said that the First shall be LAST and the last shall be FIRST! Amen!?! - The Kingdom of God is so different from this kingdom of the world... but it is happening at the same time... we need to remember to tap into the Kingdom that will last!

Yesterday in Bible study - we were talking about Samson & Delilah... and how hard it is sometimes to forgive when you have been wronged... or used... or manipulated... etc.! It was suggested to read the book of 1st John a couple of times a day - for a couple of weeks in a row... the results are amazing! There were a few testimonines of ladies who had done just that... so powerful!

Anyway - I trust that God has your back... and your reputations! Here is a great verse that I have been feasting on for a few weeks now... "For I, says the Lord, will be to her a wall of fire round about, and I will be the glory in the midst of her... Sing and rejoice, O Daughter of Zion; for behold, I come, and I will dwell in the midst of you, says the Lord." Zech 2:5; 10

Wow?! Isn't that great?! I love that! I will be praying that over you and Paul in the weeks to come!

Blessings,
~Karri~

Anonymous said...

Thursday now, time to update!